Dr., prof. Skaidrīte Gūtmane,
Rector of European Christian Academy
Respective EC organizations have recognized unique value of our study programs in regards to both content and methodology. The basis for the success story of European Christian academy is rooted in THE INTERNATIONAL SUPPORTIVE COMITEE – both academic and socially political entity, gathering representatives from USA, Israel, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, France. Rector of European Christian academy prof. Skaidrīte Gūtmane is member of the think-tank groups of several EC organizations.
Our priority is quality research in the field of interdisciplinarity between theology and social sciences/ humanities. We promote socially-centered research by use of the integrative theology method with the goal to help people and society in general. The achieved results are integrated in all theological and social study courses. Special attention is given to problems related to socially social dialogue, socially marginalized people, dialogue between society and the Church as well as Church art. Consequently our theological courses are not isolated but rather integrated: deeply related to current social problems of our society, and offering usable solutions.
We are focused on themes related to care for solidarity, mutuality and sustainability. Both Patristic theology and anthropology are seen as a resources for innovative knowledge aligned to current social problems working for social justice and inclusive society.
On what bases?
The basic mission of ECA is the dialogue witness between the anthropology/theology of Orthodoxy and European Social Agenda in the moderr gobal world. Therefore, it is devoted to the cultivation of the spirit of dialogue between “ancient” revelation of anthropology and modern European social dialogue. Also between faith, science and culture.
Inspired by the Jewish-Christian tradition, ECA aspires to the place for dialogue and spiritual exchange in the service to God, people, and age.
Our university is strategic partner to many European universities and institutions of social research and academic centers.
What do partners say?
“European Christian Academy is a very important partner in the EZA network, and ECA is constantly striving to put its European vision in combination with educational innovation at the service of social partnership.”
Sigrid Schraml, Secretary General EZA (European Centre for Workers’ Questions) (D).
“European Christian Academy is a place for open discussions on interdisciplinarity approach to European art heritage and European social reserach.
Prof. Elvyra Aciene, Klaipeda University (LT).
“European Christian academy in its Arts education stimulates education not only for students, but also for public in wide to understand European history and how to reach European cohesive society today. Interdisciplinary epistemologies carry out new knowledge modes in arts and social sciences in unity. It is valuable approach for museum work as well.”
Dr. Māra Lāce, Director of Latvian National Museum of Art (LV).
“Innovative place for research and education – interaction between anthropology, social sciences, arts, humanities. Effective!”
Sir Leen La Riviere, Director of Continental Art Centre (NL).
What do experts say?
„European Christian Academy has developed one of the most excellent and successful institutions providing theological education in Latvia.
Essential is its orientation to the Orthodox theology and usage of integrative theological methodology.
Quality strengths are:
- Well-functioning internal quality assessment system. It is done on the regular basis including the opinion of students,
- Research based teaching,
- Research based final papers by students,
- Contribution to Latvian culture translating Orthodox terminology and core texts to the Latvian language,
- Supportive student environment.
(Experts from European SF Evaluation of Higher Education Programmes and Suggestions for Quality Improvement, 2012)
Three key reasons why we welcome you to study at the Academy:
- You will enjoy complex studies of Europe, i.e., of the perception from different thoughts and fields of knowledge is what you seek for – vision of European heritage that acknowledges its holistic potential – human, social, artistic, ecological, digital,
- If your ambitions are based on promotion of initiative, and critical and knowledge-based approach,
- You will enjoy mutual interpretation of interdisciplinary epistemologies, multi-tasking skills and their innovative application. In that way inherited and modern knowlewdge “speaks forward” for future, not only for today’s Europe. Our study programs are scientific laboratories for interdisciplinary relieable knowledge”.